- Public Works
- Mizpah Cemetery
NOTICE:Beginning April 1, gates at the Veteran's Memorial entrance will be locked from 10 pm - 6 am daily. Walk-in gates will be open to allow round the clock access.
The Mizpah Cemetery, located on Weld County Road 32 (Grand Avenue) east of State Highway 85, is the oldest public cemetery still in operation in Weld County.
Mizpah ClubIn 1926, the Mizpah Club, formerly known as the Sandhill Women made improving the Cemetery their club project. The Town supplied the water, and agreed to match dollar for dollar what the Club could raise to benefit their work at the Cemetery.
ImprovementsIn 1939 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) fenced the Cemetery and installed the first rock gateway and cement markers to identify individual lots.
The second rock gateway was built and dedicated to the memory of the area servicemen who lost their lives in World War II.
Celebrated FoundersMany celebrated founders of early Weld County are buried here. Those famous or on occasion infamous, settlers include:
- Rattlesnake Kate, who killed 140 rattlesnakes to create a dress that she wore to celebrations throughout the county
- The area's first surveyor;
- Countless service men and their families
- Early lawyers, bankers, merchants and physicians
- Many of Platteville's first families, some of whom have relatives still living in the area